Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Day 17: 30 Paintings in 30 Days!

 Today, I got to go plein air paint.  We discovered a new park reserve in our area.  We hiked about 20 minutes to get to the river, but it was so beautiful, it was worth the hike.  Perfect temperature, no wind, and a fellow artist for good conversation.  What more can I ask for?  One lesson that I keep having to learn over and over is to pack lightly for outdoor painting!!!!  When you walk for 20 minutes to get to your painting site, it’s important to pack just the essential items. Here is the scene and my painting that is in a sketchbook. 

Painting in my sketchbook (8" x 8")                               photo of scene

Tip for the Day:  Try combining areas to make as few shapes as possible, when outdoor painting.  I got the sketch done pretty quickly (about 10 minutes) due to combining shapes.  My plein air is not supposed to be framable work.  I do it to work out the value patterns, observe nature to learn new things, and try to get the feeling of that moment in time. I LOVE painting outdoors.   Life is good!  (I circled the shapes so you can see how I simplify)

Circled areas are simple shapes.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...