Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Day 6 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days!

"Love- Homage to Klimt"         11" x 11"         $395  SOLD
 

 
I started this using the wild underpainting, as explained in Day 3's blog.  This is acrylic on Strathmore Aquarius paper.  I got in a hurry and started putting in my dark values to form the figures.  Then I remembered that I had promised myself to do a value study this time, because I'm almost always more successful when I have a "road map".  I like to use only 2 values, and then put my darkest darks later on within the midtone area, and let the painting tell me where to put those darks.  When I paint with acrylic, I never paint the color that I intend to end up with.  There are at least 4 layers to build up to that color.  You can see the steps pictured below.  Gustav Klimt is one of my favorite artists, and this is in homage to his famous painting, "The Kiss".  I used their position and then took off on my own.  Can you see the hidden word in the painting?  This one is my favorites of all that I've done so far.  Don't forget to write me an email if you want to be on my student email list. Karen@karenknutson.com  I have 3 workshops in my home studio each summer, and they fill up within the same day that I advertise them by email.

8 comments:

  1. LOL, you beat me to the punch, just when I thought I was the only person who stayed up all night. Great Painting. You inspire me. I think I am on your e mail list for workshops. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this abstract. Great composition, it all works together. If this gets matted and framed up, I would love to see the finished framed piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting process and painting! Wow! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this painting! Keep up the awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, nice painting! Wonderful colors and composition. Of course, i love the subject ,too!! Very interestingprocess.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...