Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Day 28 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days!

"Party Girl"               11" x 11"                  $145
Acrylic on paper
Today, I used one of my past abstract paintings as my inspiration for the design. (See below) I knew that I wanted to have earth tones plus zebra print and the Jazz color of aqua.  So, I would think that the painting would have gone smoothly!  Not true.  I tried another way of starting my painting, and it caused me lots of problems.  I'm going back to the middle value wild beginnings that I did before.  I am posting the painting when I thought it was complete (see photo 3 below), so that you can see why I changed it. When I analyzed it, I realized that I needed to make her hair a darker color so that it would show up against the circle background.  I also glazed the gold area with nickel azo to brighten the yellow area.  And I glazed the dark center area with pyrolle red light, and it really made that area richer.  It really made the painting better.  These last minute changes can really improve a painting.  I like to turn my paintings upside down, so I can really see the values, instead of the subject.

10 comments:

  1. Sweet...just don't know how you are doing these complex paintings everyday. Another great one. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great designs. I agree with Polly, you must work very fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'm not a fast painter, April. These paintings take an average of 6 hours to do. My house has not been cleaned all month, we are eating out most of the time and I haven't even had time for daily walks. But I am working hard on this challenge and I like some of the thingsthat I've learned! Even tho this so hard, I would do it again!

      Delete
  3. LOL, I haven't done any cleaning either this past month - I am looking forward to being able to get the place licked into shape when this is over!

    This is another beautiful piece and it was worth sticking with to bring it to a satisfactory conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen , I am assuming you don't work 6 hours straight. You must have walk away time to reflect on where you are at. What I would also like to know, do you work on more than one at a time??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do work for 6 hours straight, Polly! I know, it's crazy. And I prefer to work on one painting at a time. I totally get immersed into it, and believe that my soul gets in there better than working on many paintings at once. Most of my friends work on many at once. That doesn't work for me. The only breaks that I take are for a quick lunch, where I eat my sandwich and look at my painting that is upside down. Then I see the design in the piece rather than getting caught up in real things.

      Delete
    2. I tend to work on more than one at a time, except when I'm in a 30 day challenge - and even then I do not usually start from scratch but rather from a start I've had hanging around for a while. Karen, you manage to create an entire painting every day from scratch - and they are all wonderful. I'm in total awe.

      Delete
  5. So that is how you do it! ha ha Love seeing your progress :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...