Sunday, January 25, 2015

Day 25 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days

"Suits"               11" x 11" image                $145
Acrylic
My husband's business moved to a new location, so I wanted to do a painting for his new office.  The real painting will be 30" x 38" so this is a warm up for me. This painting started with a colorful underpainting, but I limited my colors to cobalt blue and nickel azo gold with a touch of pyrrole red. I learned how to use a limited palette from Carrie Burns Brown.  She told us to pick 2 colors, and then make 10 mixtures from them with just those 2 colors, and then, adding white and black to get even more colors.  It's a great lesson and keeps your painting unified.  Below is the underpainting.  After that dried, this was more about wiping out the lights than actually painting the figures.  They were created by wiping out lights around them, using cotton balls with rubbing alcohol.  I'm late posting this, due to going out with friends last night, and I had 2 margaritas.  Needless to say, I didn't have the ambition to complete this painting when we got home, so I'm hoping to get one more done today to get ahead again.  Only 5 more days to go!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, it is fabulous - the choice of colours works very well for the intended environment, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I've enjoyed all of your 30 in 30 paintings. Love seeing the background and learning about the process of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many things I like about this painting - I love the way the process shows through - and especially love the way you divided the square behind the figures and the use of the opaque wash.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...