Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Before and After! Makeovers are good sometimes!

"Proud in Pink"
 Image:  29"x 21"  Framed:  38" x 30"
Acrylic Painting on Paper        $2000
The painting on the left was painted at the Joyce Ells Paint-in last Fall. I knew that it wasn't done, but decided to set it aside till I knew how to solve it. First of all, paintings at Paint-in's often have problems because you are among 30 other artists with lots of interruptions and gabbing during your creative process. I'm not complaining cuz I love Paint-ins. I am there to reconnect with my art buddies rather than having the goal of creating masterpieces. Anyway, I have had this landscape in my mind for at least 5 years with a dusty pink barn and Holstein cows leading up to the barn. I finally decided to paint that image. But then I lost my nerve to add the cows. No worries, cuz at least I had the pink house and barn. Someone came by and remarked how awful the colors were!😳 Pretty gutsy of her, don't you think? Well, that made me even more determined than ever that the pink barn STAYS!
So, this week, I needed a painting for a national competition and decided that it was time for me to finally do a makeover on this painting.
Things I wanted to change:
1. I didn't like the brown colors.
2.  I felt that the light pathway lacked interest.
3. The painting lacked the "wow" factor, so I decided to add bright colors.
4.  The center of interest needed to be made more clear.

So, I worked out a color triad that went with pink. Yes, the pink has to stay!  I used cobalt blue, Quinacridone magenta, and hansa yellow medium.  I also added a tiny bit of raw umber and Bahama Blue.  I got out my chalk and made a better pathway of light.  Then I wiped out the new pathway, using rubbing alcohol.  If you know me at all, you know that I love the color, red.  I knew that if I showcased the building by red, that I would be a happy camper!  I instantly felt better after the red was added.  I think this is a good lesson for all of us.  Some of my BEST paintings are the ones that I struggle with.  They appear deeper, if I can only make it past the ugly teenage stage!  Now, I love the new colors and I like the new design too.  Fingers crossed that it will get accepted into the show that I entered.  Time will tell..... But the most important critique of your paintings is always YOU, and if you are pleased with the outcome, nothing else matters!  

5 comments:

  1. There is a whole farmyard with pink buildings on Highway 212 I believe going west out of the Twin Cities I have pictures somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that farm. It's so tidy and I actually like it, even tho I'm not a real pink fan.

      Delete
  2. Your changes have resulted in a wonderful painting. It is true, if you yourself like it, that is all there is to it!

    Good luck with the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. stunning transformation! congratulations and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It hardly looks like the same painting! Karen's magic.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...