Saturday, February 24, 2018

Day 24 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days!

"Roots of Love"       $75
Watercolor and Acrylic        7" x 10"
Trying new colors today.  This painting started with  my new technique of the toilet paper roll, (See blog from February 14th, 2018)  and then I added a "dry brush drag" as I call it.  Analogous colors with a tiny bit of an opposite color. 
Steps one and 2
I then drew in the figures and worked from a previous value study weaving the colors in and out of the colors and lines from the under-painting.  As the painting developed, I saw lots of root shapes, so that brought me to the title, "Roots of Love".  I struggled with my old nemesis, tiny busy shapes, and I actually wonder if the painting is better as a cropped version.  But then, I would lose the meaning of the painting.  These are questions that an artist faces as they are 3/4 of the way through a painting. You decide.  I'd love to hear your comments.  Below is the cropped version.

4 comments:

  1. It's so interesting to see how you start your painting. I like that color combo, it's very pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this colour palette, Karen. I do find that there are a few too many tiny shapes but that is mostly in the people not where the roots are - they are just fine. Cropping would definitely loose the meaning of the title. Another fascinating painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You cropped too far. I saw the one on Facebook and it just needed a trim off the bottom not all the roots. Leave some of them. In my opinion for what it is worth since you asked 😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen - I love viewing your paintings. I have left several comments over the past weeks, but it seems that they are not visible as the posts keep saying: :No comments". Not sure what may be happening???
    Connie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...