|"The Sound of Silence" $2500, framed|
Original watercolor, collage, and acrylic
Image size: 22 x 30" Framed: 30 x 38"
This painting took me 4 days to complete. I whined all the way through it! 'as I tell my students who whine, "Would you like a little cheese to go with that whine?" It was truly a lesson in perseverance. There were so many times when I wanted to quit and make it into a journal cover, something I do with my rejects. But this voice kept telling me that my best paintings are the ones that involve a struggle. When this happens to you, here's my advice:
1. Ask yourself why you are painting this. Be sure to get that message across to the viewers.
2. Keep telling yourself to have fun! Learn from your mistakes and go forward a wiser person.
3. Draw a value sketch if your design is faltering.
4. Remember my 3 words: Repetition, Variation, and Dominance.
5. Take photos of your painting in progress. You will see values lots better in the tiny screen.
Now, that I'm finished, I'm so glad that I continued the good fight and truly did slay that dragon!!! This painting is for my solo exhibition in Miles City, MT at the Waterworks Museum on Oct. 15 - Nov. 10th. My opening reception is on the 15th at 1:00. Everyone is invited to attend!