Thursday, January 8, 2015

Day 9 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days!

"Waiting Patiently"       11" x 11"        $145
Some days everything goes right in a painting!  Wanting to end with a blue theme, I started my underpainting using warms and brown tones.  I drew a value sketch with only 2 values, so that I would know where to connect my lights. I thought of Polly Hammett and how well she repeated shapes and simplified shapes.  That's what I tried to do! This painting was basically about where to scrub out, rather than painting in layers. (See yesterday's blog to get a more detailed description of scrubbing out with rubbing alcohol.)  Below you will see my underpainting, value sketch and my painting 3/4 done.  I actually considered it done, but after sitting critiquing it during wine o'clock, I decided that I indeed needed to add more darks.  I like the design in this painting.  Notice that even the bracelets are a repetition of the chair curve. 

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful!
    Colors, repetition of forms..such a well-balanced painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martinez. design has always been the most important principle to me.

      Delete
  2. "Waiting Patiently" caught my eye this morning on the 30 in 30. Love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June, it's great to reconnect after both of us participating in the 30 in 30 last year too. I see you have a book of your alcohol inks. I'm interested in buying one!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to discover you work. This painting is great. And thanks for the descriptions of your approach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the orange and blue colour combo - this is a wonderful piece, fully utilising negative space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire the design in ALL of your paintings. You really know design - I would love to take a design class from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice colors and balance. I like that the girl could be anybody. You have a nice, unique style

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...