Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Day 7 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days!

"Shop till we Drop"          11" x 11" image          $145
This painting had lots of ups and downs.  But to tell you the truth, I almost get excited when this happens.  I know, you're thinking I'm crazy.  But when I struggle with a painting, usually that's when I have to use my imagination to solve the problem and then I make a breakthrough.  I started with a messy underpainting (as explained in Day 3), and tried some new colors. Micaceous Iron Oxide is the one that I had the most trouble with.  I love the color, mixed with iridescent sparkles, but I know that next time, it should be a finishing coat, not an underpainting.  Anyway, I had a real mess, and then thought that the only thing that would solve the problem was to make complicated paper collage.  This process is explained on a video by Anne Bagby.  I took a workshop from her last summer, and she's a fantastic instructor and really top notch artist!  I strongly recommend her videos! Thanks again, Leslie Saeta for this incredible challenge.  Be sure to check out all the other paintings.  There are really some incredible paintings.  I'm amazed!

13 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, just joined your site - love it, love it, love it, love your underpaintings and then your most perfect semi-abstracted scenes on top - this one really popped in my quick search today on Leslie's page. Looking forward to seeing more! What size is this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Pattie! All of my 30 in 30 series are 11" x 11" image. This one is available for $145.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE your work! I'm glad we've met!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I've fallen into the MI-Oxide pit, too. Definitely a top coat. It turned out very nicely with your go to colors, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the black and white collaged bits and thanks for the link to Anne Bagby. Always loved her work and now I find there are videos to watch, too. Now I know what I am doing this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kathie! Means a lot coming from you!

      Delete
  6. I love you sense of composition. I love the collage work, the light, texture... really love your work Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could write a blog post about why I love this painting - that's how much I love it. For me, the gesture of the figure is simply perfection - it somehow captures the essence of "the shopper" - I feel like I know her. I think it is a terrific painting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing! Everything from the shapes to the gesture to the depth of color! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see a door, with a key hole. When looking through the key hole a lady is walking down the hall, with back lighting peeking around her. This is a very exciting piece. Most really good paintings go through ups and downs....this one is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone. It was fun to work from a value study again. For me, that makes the difference!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...