Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Day 21- 30 Paintings in 30 Days!

"Mr. Right"                  11" x 11"                   $195
Acrylic
Whenever I get myself into deep trouble, I actually get excited!  I know, you think I'm bonkers, but when this happens, I have to reinvent the wheel, and I usually am ready to have a breakthrough!  This happened today, when working on this painting.  I knew that I wanted a warm underpainting, so I grabbed all kinds of yellows and iron oxide, etc.  I then decided on impulse to add just a little of black. I spread the dots of color, with a rubber Catalyst wedge, that had notches in it.  Below is the result of that process.  Yikes!  I saw this underpainting, and thought, "Well this is a fine mess you've gotten yourself into, Lucy". But then, I decided to add a layer of yellow to unify the background and that turned the black to an army green color.  Then I added gesso on top, and flicked some alcohol and water drops to get the speckled look.  Now, I was cooking!  My objective on this one was to have really high contrast.  So I knew from the beginning that I wanted the bottom black and the top a light color. Once the gesso effect dried, I toned it with an aqua color.  I'm going to have a hard time letting this painting go.  It's such a great breakthrough.  Even the bottom black area has depth, due to a dripping process.  The thing that I'm most pleased with is the soft edges, and all the mystery created by all the layering.  Tomorrow, I'm painting a girl to go with this one.  They are meant to be sold together, I hope!

4 comments:

  1. It is wonderful to have a breakthrough! This is exactly the benefit of making mistakes. Looking forward to tomorrow's painting now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your process - I am interested in how you achieve these great surfaces you paint. Thinking of breaking out a little and experimenting, now I know what I need to do that. This looks like such fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very cool. Would love to see all the layers in this process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome! I love hearing about your oops, and breakthrough! The texture is so cool...this looks like encaustic.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...