Monday, January 12, 2015

Day 13 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days!

"Jenna"                 11" x 11" Image                   $145
Watercolor and permanent marker
This is another "wire drawing".  Basically a contour drawing, with changes and doodling afterwards.  In this one, I took it even farther than any others that I've done.  I'm trying to keep the integrity of the wire drawing, but add some depth to the painting too, without making it look like a coloring book.  I'm pleased, but will be trying to improve more as I go along.  The model is Jenna Erickson, who is Director of Programs at Madeline Island School of the Arts.  The first time I saw her, I knew that I wanted to paint her.  To me, she's like a Mona Lisa- very striking, and statuesque.  This isn't as good of a likeness as I would have liked but I'll be painting more paintings of her, and hopefully, one of them will capture her unique spirit.  She frequently wears colorful scarves and lots of jewelry. She is a genius at matching clothes to accessories.  If you get the chance, I strongly recommend the MISA for workshops.  It's beautiful and peaceful; it is located a short ferry ride from Bayfield, WI.  A nice place to reconnect with your inner soul. I've taught 2 workshops there and totally enjoyed the experience.
Beginning wire drawing of Jenna

9 comments:

  1. You are so creative in your artistic approach. You are so brave to try new thing all the time. This one worked so well. Great work as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Jenna, but you have definitely captured a personality here - I sense Bohemian in nature - very outdoorsy and adventurous, too! I love this technique and style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Patti, thanks for your comment. That makes me feel great!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful drawing, Karen. You've definitely captured Jenna. She will love this piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice of you to say that, Kathie. I didn't feel like I caught her like I wanted, so I will be trying more. Have you painted her?

      Delete
  4. Gosh, that is amazing! I see a link with Mona Lisa, same pose and the background included. It is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful work! She is beautiful, and her personality is gleaming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to learn how to do these wire drawings. Very cool

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful... just love the technique....have to try to give it a go!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...