Sunday, January 11, 2015

Day 12 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days!

"In one of my Moods"  11" x 11" commission painting
Sold 
I've had this commission since March of 2014, and the guilt just took over me today, so instead of doing my people paintings with abstract backgrounds, I did a "girl chicken" in front of an abstract background.  I feel like such a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders!  Below are the other 2 that are companions for this painting.  The buyer bought the middle painting from my 30 in 30 Challenge from last year, and wanted the chicken and rooster to go with it.  Hope she is pleased with the results. This painting is acrylic, watercolor, and collage.  To hear about the process of the dripping acrylic background, go to last year's blog from January 13, 2014.  Here is the link: http://karenknutson.blogspot.com/2014/01/30-paintings-in-30-days-day-14.html
  I'd love to get a conversation going about commission paintings with other artists out there!  Please post your comments below.  I have a love/hate feeling about them.  It's great to get sales, but I need to set deadlines for completion.  I think they push me to new levels, but obviously (from how long it takes me to complete them), I must not like being told what to paint!  I'm so spoiled!


 


 

 
 



13 comments:

  1. What a great idea to talk about commissions. Your commission is lovely by the way, as always..... I hate commissions because I get scared that the buyer won't love what I have produced. I get tense all the way through and my work gets tight. It just isn't fun but I do it because it is money. I want to like doing them, maybe one day....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tam, usually I can spot commission paintings right away. But this time, I think I did succeed in producing spontaneous paintings. I kept reminding myself about the good friend who requested them and then kept telling myself to have fun!

      Delete
  2. One word describes how I feel about commissions: stressful. I will take on a commission, and have always been able to create a painting that the collector is pleased with. But, the process is a grind, and my studio mates have to put up with me stressing over it all. I paint slower and tighter...and sometimes procrastinate. The last commission I had I ended up cleaning the studio to avoid starting the commission. I charge 25% more for commission because of the time involved, and I have a contract I use with the client for these jobs....which makes it easier on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, that is procrastinating, Kay Wyne! For you to resort to cleaning your studio! :)

      Delete
  3. I have a couple of chickens and definitely understand the moods - this is perfect! About commissions, I cringe, the 'love 'em/hate 'em' comes to the forefront. If I am pushed for time, I don't take them on. I would rather do them in my own time and if I have a long period of time, I am OK. But I don't like those, have to have it yesterday..I encourage a card with a surprise of 'guess what's coming?' down the line. I don't like setting a price - hoping they like it - because then I end up beating myself up on the painting to that 'price' - I LOVE getting someone to agree that it will be in a 'ballpark' of a price. When times are hungry, and I need supplies, I feel like wearing a sandwich board - "I Paint Commissions!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, commissions: Love them/ hate them! I like that you don't take commissions with a strict time period. I'm going to remember that!

      Delete
  4. Commissions? RUN! Too stressful. Maybe I just don't have enough confidence. My husband paints two and lets the client choose. Over the top. You've got what it takes, though, just set a time limit so that you don't have it hanging over your head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love today's painting and am very pleased you got that monkey off your back!

    Argh, commissions, I find them very stressful too and they always take longer than a normal painting. I get more stressed if the client starts badgering for it as well. I have learned over the years to only agree if there is a very flexible deadline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, commission paintings definitely take longer than normal paintings. I go through periods where I refuse to do them, then I buckle to pressure and do them again after a short period. I definitely will be adding a deadline for myself the next time I accept one.

      Delete
  6. Commissions are fantastic in theory...soul sucking in reality. This piece is the rare exception to what we usually end up with when we have the buyer's voice in our heads when working on a commission. Your hen has life and color vibrancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I think the reason this one is an exception to the "commission look" is that I truly love the person who commissioned it. She's a great friend who makes everyone around her laugh. Lights up a room just by being there.

      Delete
  7. Love them all, thanks for the link showing your process!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...