Saturday, January 10, 2015

Day 11 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days!

"Ooh Lah Lah"            11" x 11" image      $145  SOLD
“Ooh Lah Lah” came into being because I’m excited about the Golden Globe Awards tomorrow night.  I love all that movie star stuff! J  On tracing paper, I did a free hand drawing of the girl all glammed up. To check up on my drawing skills, I then placed the drawing over the actual photo to see how well I did.  I’ve been doing that lately, because I want to improve my drawing skills so much!  I used to think of myself as a pretty good drawer, but really lack confidence in that area lately as I’m really looking more critically at my skills and trying to improve each day.  Next, I drew a value sketch using only 2 values.  This is my road map while I paint.  At the very end, I decide where to put the darkest darks, depending on what I want to accentuate.  When trying to think of a background, I came up blank.  So, I looked through all my 30 minute color studies and found the one pictured below. I made a few changes, but it gave me a good starting point.  I did it on January 27th of 2011.  That year, I had the goal to do a 30 minute color sketch using Tombow markers every day for a whole YEAR!!!! Yes, I said a whole year!  I only missed 2 days, due to totally forgetting!  How can one forget when you’ve been doing it for that long??!!!!  Life gets busy some days-- that’s how!  Anyway, I love being able to page through the color studies and be inspired for either a total abstract or a background for a semi-abstract painting.  Be sure to check out Leslie Saeta's blog to see other artist's paintings from this challenge.  I notice that many have dropped out by now.  Sure hope I make it to the finish line! Below are my first nine paintings.  I couldn't get the 10th one on there.
color study that I used for inspiration (left)
value study (right)

8 comments:

  1. Your sketching is great and so is this painting! I have loved every single one so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rolina. Your comment makes me feel really good.

      Delete
  2. WOw... for a whole year! that is dedication. Awesome idea! This one is so sassy. Guess you would feel sassy if you were up for an award! I absolutely adore this palette. The green with the blue, the black and the rust. I am so glad I discovered your art this round! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. I need to be cheered on, so your posts mean a lot to me. I have oodles of ideas for this series, just running out of steam.

      Delete
    2. Hang in there... I think I can, I think I can...

      Delete
  3. I love how you combined that abstract pattern with your figure!! Lots of inspiring work on your website Karen! PS. Any connection to Sweden with the name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, "a power". My husband's family is from Norway, and his mom had a little Swedish. Me, I'm a mutt. :)

      Delete
  4. I love this painting and all of them in this 30 challenge!
    What a great idea to do the color challenge, and what dedication to do it for a year!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...