Friday, September 20, 2013

How Paintings Evolve

"Family and Friends"

Step one of painting
This painting, "Family and Friends", started with free and loose conte crayon markings.  Then I applied gesso randomly, using a palette knife.  The top photo is the finished painting, and the lower photo is step one.  This painting was as much a mystery to me, as to others.  Every step of the way, I had no idea how it would evolve, until about half way through, when I could see a mountain side, with rocks and decided to add some people at the top of the mountain.  The gesso marks helped me decide where to put them.  At this point, I stopped the painting, and got out my pencil, and made a value design sketch, something that I am passionate about.  Usually, I start with this, but this time, it was fun to start a painting with no preconceived ideas, and let the painting tell me the direction that it wanted to go.  "Family and Friends" just won a merit award at the Minnesota Watercolor Society Fall Exhibition.  I am teaching a workshop in my home studio on Oct. 4 - 6th on how to come up with ideas for abstracts.  There are still 2 openings, if anyone is interested.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen, Thank you for sharing how your piece developed. The gray start reminds me of Kandinsky. I thought it was interesting that you stopped and did a value study. Congratulations on the award.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...